NEW Dysphagia Support Group in the Greater Phoenix AreaPosted: March 11, 2016
On Friday, March 11, from 3:00 pm to 5;00 pm, the National Foundation of Swallowing Disorders is kicking-off a support group for those with swallowing disorders.
Future meetings are scheduled for the second Friday of the month from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Morningstar Senior Living has graciously offered to host our meetings. Morningstar is located at 21432 N 75th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85305. http://www.morningstarseniorliving.com/communities/morningstar-at-arrowhead/
As this is our first meeting, this will be a planning meeting where we discuss the needs of the community. Future topics will include:
- Feeding tube management
- Thickening products and thickening procedures
- Oral Care
- National Dysphagia Diet
- Compensatory swallowing techniques
- Social/emotional ramifications of dysphagia
- Optimizing reflux management
- New advances in Dysphagia Management
- Role of nutrition in maximizing swallowing function
- Dysphagia, from the eyes of the caregiver
- Free water protocol
- Understanding Aspiration Pneumonia
- Long term effects of radiation therapy
- Living with Xerostomia
- Naturally thickened liquids. Naturally pureed foods
- Customizing dysphagia therapy
- Understanding normal swallowing function
- Stroke and Dysphagia
- Voice and Swallowing…How are they connected?
- Dysphagia Diet Recipes
- Maximizing outcomes through the interdisciplinary team approach
- How are swallowing problems diagnosed
This swallowing disorder support group is open to patients, caregivers, clinicians and anyone who has questions and needs support and resources to live their best lives.
If you need more information or plan to attend, please email Laura Michael at: Laura@dysphagiasupplies.com.
Hope to see you there!